Back to Previous Page
U.S.A. Registered. SKOOKUM (strong, stout, impressive in Chinook jargon) – this very name describes the strength, integrity and high quality of the boats designed by Ed Monk and constructed by Skookum Marine at Port Townsend, Washington.
Skookum's full keeled hull was designed and constructed specifically to withstand the challenges of fishing in the treacherous waters of the Bering Sea. RØYKEN is a sailing/ketch for the serious blue water cruiser. She can take you on an adventurous cruise anywhere in the world in comfort and security.
RØYKEN is also an exceptionally comfortable live-aboard vessel. Since 2002, RØYKEN has had a major refit with first class workmanship – new electrical and plumbing systems, new sole throughout, bow thrusters, water maker, washer/dryer, inverter, Frigoboat freezer/refrigerator and auxiliary generator rebuild - just a few of the additions and upgrades. Major maintainence and upgrades summer 2014.
- Located: Oregon
- Model: Skookum 53 Ketch
- LOD 53' - LWL 42' (LOA: 62')
- Beam: 15'5" - Draft: 8'
- Displacement 56,000 lbs
- Designer: Ed Monk - Builder: Skookum Marine
- Hull Built: 1973 - Commissioned: 1977
- Engine: Volvo Penta Diesel MD 42A - 75 hp
- Gear: Twin Disk - 1.97:1
- Heat exchanger cooling
- Engine alarms and engine fans
- Fuel Tanks: 2 x FRP - 400 gallons capacity
- Cruising Speed: 8 knots
- Hydraulic Pumps
- Bilge Pumps: x 5
- Genset: Northern Lights 6 kW - rebuilt
- Sleeps: 9
- Stove: x2 Dickinson diesel (1 galley, 1 salon)
- Refrigeration: Frigoboat freezer/refer DC (new) Norcold AC/DC
- Galley Sink: Double stainless steel
- Fresh Water: x 4 FRP - 100 gallons each
- Head: x 2 - Shower: Yes
- Holding Tank: 110 gallons
- Hot Water: 20 gallons
- Sail Inventory: x 4 - main, mizzen, staysail, jib (new)
- Standing Rigging: Stainless steel (newer) 2002
- Hull: Molded fiberglass - Decks: FRP over marine plywood
- Zincs / Antifoul: 2010
- Hatches: x 5 - 3 new installed in 2007
- Mast: Deck stepped - vertical clearance 68'
- Windlass: Thompson Hydraulic
- Anchor: x 3 - Fortress / Danforth 45 lb. / Seahook 110 lb.
- Newer lifelines
- GPS: Garmin
- VHF x 2
- Sounder: x 2
- Radar: x 3 Raymarine radars, autopilot, multi (wind, depth, speed)
- Loran: LC90 Mark II
- Plotter: Raytheon chartplotter
- Autopilot: Wagner Mark IV
- Batteries: x10
- Compass: Danforth 5"
- Inverter: Newmar
- Steering: 2 station
- Water Maker: Aqua Marine (needs hook-up)
- Canvas: Sail covers / helm / winches / handrails - new 2008
- Bowthruster: x 2 Vetus
- New sole - Brazilian mesquite
- Dinghy: Quartermaster 10' w/outboard
- Washer / Dryer: Splendide
- Major refit beginning 2002